Thursday, November 17, 2011

The good news is you don’t have worms.

Basically, the cutest thing ever: I am in bed putting the final touches on a job application (for the amazing job in Oakland!) and out the door a beautiful cow trots by with Sage in close pursuit making the calls that local folks use to move them along “haat, haat!” - so that all the flowers in front of our place don’t get eaten.

This morning it’s foggy. We’re beginning to see what winter is like here. It feels like a mix of the seasons as we know them: some changing leaves, blossoming fruit trees, cooler weather, more morning fog, tons of birds and butterflies (and fewer caterpillars), clearer views of the Himalayas late morning when the fog burns off.

We took a student with stomach problems to the doctor’s office a few days ago and I thought I would get myself checked out as well. The lab technician is totally hilarious; he could easily be a comedian. When the student was unable to provide a urine sample he suggested a catheter. The look on the student’s face was priceless, until he started cackling and she realized it was a joke.

Then it was my turn. I had brought along a sample of my own and the doctor called me in after the technician had looked at it under the microscope: “Well, the good news” he said, “is that you don’t have worms. On the other hand you do have amoebas”.

As has often been the case for me, upon hearing that news I began to feel more ill. A few days later, thinking I was back in the swing of things (after getting part way through my antibiotic or “amoebacide” treatment) Sage, Keith and I went to do an interview with a farmer about agricultural innovations. A few minutes into it I had to focus to not let nausea overwhelm me. Near the end I had to excuse myself to be sick, and it was all down hill from there. It has been a few days now and I am getting stronger but I have a date with the comedian-lab technician tomorrow just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment