Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Sock Coffee

Every single day I wake up and look for the Himalayas in the distance, when I can’t quite make them out through the haze I still know just where they are. I cannot get over how many butterflies there are right outside: some have wings that look like stained glass, some have stripes, and some are the classic monarchs. As most of you know super sweet milky tea is the thing here, but Seattle made an unrepentant coffee addict out of me. For a while I was drinking the instant coffee, but there is something kind of evil, not to mention unsatisfying about Nescafé. So I had a student get me some real coffee from the regional products store on a recent walk and now I am making filter coffee with a sock in my very own room – they all think it is hilarious and I think it is extremely satisfying.

It is fascinating to live with one’s undergraduate students. I feel certain it is making a better teacher out of me to have such exposure to their needs, interests, emotions, creativity, humor, etc. I find myself thinking about how wonderful it will be to hear from these students in the coming years, and to see how this time in rural India will impact the rest of their lives. Then I get to thinking about how it will impact our lives (Sage and I), and I try not to get ahead of myself, but there are very exciting possibilities for us both to get involved over the coming years (Building a radio station? Making videos on local agricultural innovations?).

No comments:

Post a Comment